Panicking



I'm trying to come up with the final two chapters of my latest novel, Collateral, my entry into Harlequin's SYTYCW15 competition, which you can read on Wattpad.  Honestly, my plot is a bit too convoluted and at 86K words, I still need to get to the final two chapters and make sure the characters go full circle - meaning, get them back into the romance because the romance parts are way too few and far between. But somehow I've let too many days slip past me where I didn't really write (actually more distracted writing than anything - and this thing called kindergarten), namely four days, and I'm paying for it.

Every time I sit and write the next chapter, I feel like I'm writing a completely different story that does not go with the 86K words before it.  Somehow it's taken a twist to darker, more confusing and convoluted territory. I'm bringing in characters who haven't even made any face time in the novel other than being mentioned 14 times into the last chapter and thinking I can get away with it.

But even as I do so, the chapter ends up in the "unused chapters" folder because it just doesn't feel right. I need to finish the novel, and I need to finish it now.  And so I distract myself, hoping I'll get the gist of the story back.

But I think I'm just panicking.  Yep, that would be about it - panicking.

I think my problem is also that even though I already knew who the 'killer' is (no one really dies, as far as the main characters go), I want to throw in that major plot twist, one that will make readers go, wow! never saw that coming!  Unfortunately, neither did I.  So I need to get myself back on tract and get the right killer back on the saddle even if it won't have that kick that good mysteries often have.  And that way I can move on to the three other novels waiting on me to finish editing them!


No comments